GUNPOWDER MILL SITES
open to visitors
This page gives details of those sites which can be visited, either as museums or as public open space.
In most cases only part of the original site is open to the public.
Home Works, Faversham, Kent
N.G.R. TR 010 612
The site is a museum operated by the Faversham Society.
A water powered edge runner incorporating mill survived and has been restored.
For more visitor information see the
Faversham Web Site
There are also some more pictures of the rebuilt incorporating mill under
Faversham Town History
The Home Works was started as a private enterprise in in 1653. In 1760 this site and a later site nearby were bought by the Government. After the Nepolionic War the Government sold off all three Faversham sites.
N.G.R. TQ 023 473
The danger area of the original gunpowder mill site is owned by Guilford Council as a public open space. The site runs along the River Tillingbourne from Blacksmith Lane to Lockner Road. The access from Blacksmith Lane is through the site of the original gatehouse. The old internal tramway route forms the main path through the site.
The mill races for a number of water powered incorporating mills exist at the western end of the site. Some traces of the mills reamin and there are several edge runner stones. There is also remains of a range of steam driven mills. At the eastern end of the site are the substantial ruins of a range of steam driven incorporating mills from 1885.
The site was first used for gunpowder in about 1625 when the East India Company built a mill to manufacture for its own use. They only kept the site for 10 years after which it became a commercial works with new proprietors. In the 1630's it held a monopoly on supplying the crown. The works supplied the Parliamentry side during the Civil War. The works expanded in the late 17th century but contracted again soon afterwards. Production was continuous ad steam power was introduced in the 1860's.
In the 1880's the site was taken over by a German firm and used to develop a smokeless powder for large naval guns. The works were extended east to house the new process. The works were further extended in 1915 for an Admiralty cordite works.
After WW1 the works became part of Nobel Industries and hence ICI. The works closed as part of a rationalisation program in 1920.
Royal Gunpowder Mills, Ballincollig, County Cork
The site was operated as a museum in its own right during the 1990s. However its present status is unclear
The site was advertised in Tourist Information for the Cork Area, for example :-
Visitor Attractions in County Cork Ireland
The works were built by the British Government in 1794 and continued in use until 1903.
top of page / intro page
© 2005 Chris Hicks, Rugby
[ Version O2 20/08/05 ]
Page design by Chris Hicks.